How is embezzlement normally uncovered?

by Guest on July 5, 2012

in Security

A Guest blog from David Harris of  Prosperident. The opinions expressed are from David Harris not Dr. Larry Emmott. However I believe it is valuable for dentists to get various takes on technology issues in order to make good technology choices.

_____________________________________________________________________________

By: David Harris

How is embezzlement normally uncovered?

The answer to this question might surprise you.

According to a recently published American Dental Association study only 19% of discovery was prompted by the planned operation of the dentist’s system of controls (day-end balancing, review of software audit logs, fraud found by the dentist’s accountant etc.).  The remaining 81% was discovered by some accidental occurrence (examples include another employee reporting the theft, patients identifying billing discrepancies or an employee working unexplained extra hours).

There has been a lot written by advisors who suggest that the way to prevent embezzlement is to implement more (and more) controls.  I’m sure you have seen articles that give frustratingly long lists of things a dentist should check weekly and monthly. 

In addition to the large time commitment that accompanies this internal audit process, I have always questioned its effectiveness.  Embezzlers are driven by some powerful forces, and to expect them to be discouraged by some visible and easily circumvented controls seems like a delusional exercise.

With the ADA’s survey results reinforcing my view, I hope that dentists and their advisors begin to see the futility of attempting to manage fraud through internal controls and self-directed audit.

Please don’t misunderstand me — there are lots of controls that serve purposes other than fraud detection.  For example, even though day-end reviews uncover less than 8% of all embezzlements, these reviews serve other useful purposes like catching clerical errors.

This silver lining is that, regardless of the methodology used to steal, embezzlers behave in very predictable ways.  We have developed and constantly refined a “Fraud Risk Assessment Questionnaire” that is designed to help you capture and assess these behaviors.  You can request the free questionnaire here.

Related Update (LE)

by: at .

Share

{ 1 comment }

Marielaina Perrone DDS@Cosmetic Dentist July 6, 2012 at 9:26 pm

This is one of those silent practice killers. tahnks for making doctors aware of this. great posting.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: